Some human foods can be toxic for dogs. It’s essential to research and speak with a vet before providing any table scraps to pup, especially foods containing specific spices or herbs that might create a reaction.
Cinnamon is a common spice that many pet parents have different theories concerning its use with canines, but can dogs eat cinnamon, or is it among those that might cause harm? According to the “Pet Poison Helpline,” the spice has the potential for causing (quotes) “skin and digestive sensitivity and irritations in not only pets but also humans, particularly when ingested in large amounts.”
That isn’t saying that cinnamon is toxic for puppies; there won’t be fatal effects from consumption. You might see instances of the animal coughing, perhaps difficulty breathing, or instances of choking with irritation in the mouth if pup were to chew on a cinnamon stick, ingest essential oil or ground substance.
The Poison hotline indicates it would take greater than what equates to a teaspoon to create this type of reaction unless the animal is a smaller breed or the cinnamon is in a concentrated essential oil which might create more of a response at a lower level.
Can A Dog Eat Cinnamon?
Cinnamon is a spice that some animals have an aversion to due to the strong scent. Some dogs don’t like the smell or the taste of a pure product like ground substance, sticks, or essential oils, but some will indulge.
If a canine were to overdose or consume a large amount, the potential of severe symptoms elevates. There is a chance for diarrhea, vomiting, lowered blood sugar, heart rate changes, and the development of liver disease. There is a low chance for fatality, but a call to the vet is essential if you feel the animal ate too much of the spice. The pup will be exceptionally uncomfortable, for which the vet can offer suggestions on getting the animal through the worst of the symptoms.
Baked Goods With Cinnamon As An Ingredient
If you use cinnamon for baking something, the amount that dog gets from a piece of that baked good will be so minute it won’t harm the animal. Looking at it in a different light, animals should not be indulging in human baked goods.
Most of these are likely high in fat, carbohydrates, sugar, and calories leading to most pups developing issues with weight, potential diabetes, and conditions like pancreatitis. Some sweeteners like “xylitol,” often found in specific peanut butter brands, are incredibly toxic for dogs.
If you’re someone who can’t say no to sad puppy faces, you should only allow a sparse piece, very seldom, and make sure you’re aware of all the ingredients so that you can ensure none are toxic. Everyone should be hyper-aware that dogs should not have chocolate, xylitol, or raisins under any circumstances.
Nutmeg vs. Cinnamon
Not all spices are created equally. While suggestions indicate cinnamon in minimal quantities, nutmeg is another spice altogether. While it is also a common baking spice, it has toxic effects due to “myristicin.” The toxin creates hallucinations, disorientation, abdominal pain, increased blood pressure, elevation in heart rate, increased thirst, and seizure potential. Find out which spices are harmful to your pet at https://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/spices-harmful-puppies-4182.html.
You’ll find that these two substances generally go hand-in-hand in most baking recipes. Fortunately, the trace amount that a dog will ingest in a piece from something baked won’t harm the animal. It’s the large quantities that will result in symptoms lasting as long as 48 hours or more.
While there are suggestions that there might be a benefit or three from spices for humans (which aren’t definitively proven), these don’t automatically translate to our dogs.
You should never provide anything to your canine without expressly consulting with the animal’s vet to learn the potential risks compared to the possible benefits and then consider alternatives with proven advantages. Look at this possible benefit for dogs using cinnamon.
As it sits in the current landscape, cinnamon is unnecessary, nor is it recommended as a supplement for a pup. The animal can eat it in sparse quantities, but many dogs can take it or leave it, so do them a favor and don’t introduce it.